Below is the welcome letter to the newly formed Nordic Shakespeare Society (NorSS), which had its inaugural meeting during the Shakespeare and Scandinavia conference in 2015.
The Nordic Shakespeare Society (NorSS) aims to encourage and support a network of scholars, educators, translators and theatre practitioners across the Nordic countries, who share an interest in Shakespeare and early modern culture, but also welcomes approaches to Shakespeare in a broader Scandinavian context. It is hoped that this network will provide a vital resource for developing research, collaboration and the gathering and dissemination of information which may then be shared with other communities within Shakespeare studies.
Our bylaws are yet to be finalised and formally approved, but our inaugural conference and first meeting helped us to lay out our collective plans as well as to elect two officers: Martin S. Regal (University of Iceland) has agreed to serve as the first president of NorSS and Delilah Bermudez Brataas (Norwegian University of Science and Technology) has agreed to serve as secretary.
Future meetings will be held in all the countries concerned, but NorSS may also propose a series of panels at established conferences (for example, ESRA, ESSE, NAES etc.), which should offer us the possibility to meet regularly and discuss how to strengthen the society.
- Iceland: Martin Regal, University of Iceland
- Denmark: Charles Lock, Copenhagen University
- Norway: Delilah Bermudez Brataas, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Finland: Nely Keinänen, University of Helsinki
- Sweden: Per Sivefors, Linnaeus University
We need members!
The first step to establishing the society is gathering members. We need members to act as resources, gather information and recruit others in any of the areas listed below, although we also welcome suggestions for further scholarly exploration. Once we have made progress in accumulating members and resources, our next step will be to develop a website and online presence.
To join, please forward your name, contact information, affiliation, and academic or research interest to email@example.com
Proposed Areas of Interest and Support for NorSS:
- Academic Support:
- Resources for grants/research support
- Recruitment and Support for Positions or MA/PhD Students (i.e. resource for external readers/examiners)
- Research/Writing Collaboration
- Pedagogic Support (i.e. materials or ideas for course development )
- Resources for Visiting Scholars and/or Seminar possibilities.
- Networking Support:
- Conferences or Seminars
- Sponsored Panels in Established Conferences (i.e. ESRA)
- Special Interest Support:
- Local Theatrical Performances or Film Adaptations (i.e. Globe on Screen)
- Offering Discussions, Talks, Seminars to Interest Groups
- Educational Support:
- Connection to Local Primary and Secondary Schools
- Resources for Educators in Primary and Secondary Schools
Welcome Letter (Click to download)